link setup and URL

Simone Frigerio-2
Hi !
I need to fix a link URL in layer.ini with a special directory. By default a file can be fixed in this way:

layers.exp_matrix.link = exposure_matrix.txt
The file "exposure_matrix.txt" has to stay by default in the folder: C:\ms4w\apps\cartoweb3\htdocs
On web the link is correctly visualized as:
http://localhost/cartoweb3/htdocs/exposure_matrix.txt

If I need to change directory from default folder (e.g. the output of a model yhat are fixed are exactly in a folder), how can I write the correct expression of the link?
Example:
"exposure_matrix.txt" is in C:/temp
The link in a browser is "file:///C:/temp/exposure_matrix.txt"
The expression in layer.ini should be
layers.exp_matrix.link = file:///C:/MultiRisk/rev_vis/exposure_matrix.txt

The result is a not visible link.
Is it a wrong syntax? Is it a question of default folder as I suppose? How can I manage different default folder?

The second question is on same issue regarding setup of link. Is it possible create a popup window for the link, instead another tab on the browser?

Thanks.
Simone

Re: link setup and URL

Oliver Christen
hello Simone

you can only access files which are served by your web server.
you can not use local path, as you are trying at the moment.

your webserver must be configured to allow web access to the folder where you have your files.
though you need to be careful as this may be a serious security problem as all the files will be open to public access!!!!
it may be a good idea to disalow the directory listing in that folder.

if you are using apache, you need to add a new alias in your httpd.conf (or if you have your cartoweb apache config in another file, then in that other file)
to disallow directory listing, do NOT put "Indexes" in the Options line in the "<Directory ..." definition

also this page for a very quick overview http://www.thewebhostinghero.com/tutorials/apache-alias.html

regards
Oliver