jbig2 and licence

Vincent Torri
Hello

if I'm not mistaken, tiff  can depend on jbig2. Afaik, libtiff's
configure.ac searches for jbig-kit, which is GPL. But libtiff is
licensed under a BSD-like licence, which means that if I enable jbig2
support, libtiff becomes a GPL library, right ?

thank you

Vincent Torri

Re: jbig2 and licence

Bob Friesenhahn
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Vincent Torri wrote:

> Hello
>
> if I'm not mistaken, tiff  can depend on jbig2. Afaik, libtiff's
> configure.ac searches for jbig-kit, which is GPL. But libtiff is
> licensed under a BSD-like licence, which means that if I enable jbig2
> support, libtiff becomes a GPL library, right ?

There is some confusion since JBIG-KIT does not implement JBIG v2 (it
implements JBIG v1) and source code does not "become GPL" due to
linking with GPL code.  However, you are correct that binaries linked
with JBIG-KIT must offer/distribute all source code (other than for
system libraries) for the whole library/program according to the terms
of GPLv2.

If you are not willing to provide the source code for your using
application then don't link libtiff with JBIG-KIT.

For perhaps historical reasons (patents which I believe have all
expired now) I have noticed that Linux distributions derived from
Debian Linux do not offer JBIG-KIT.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn