Quantcast

converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

Mark Volz

Hello,

I would like to know how to use gdal to convert a Mr Sid air photo in UTM 15 to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates (feet).

My original steps include

·         Use ArcGIS to export the MrSID in UTM to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates (feet).

o   This takes care of converting the coordinate system, however at about 4GB, the file size is awfully huge.

·         Use gdal_translate to tile the image.  This also seems to make the file size much more reasonable…  about 280 MB.

o   gdal_translate -CO TILED=YES -CO PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -CO TFW=YES -CO COMPRESS=JPEG -CO BIGTIFF=YES LincolnFSA2013.tif,  Lin13.tif

·         Use gdaladdo to add internal JPEG overviews.  This adds a small amount of data to the file, but it also makes it MUCH quicker.

Unfortunately, these steps are NOT working.  It appears the coordinates are getting shifted from feet back to meters.  I think it may be possible that gdal_translate is not reading or ignoring  the .tfw file created by ESRI.  Therefore I need to either figure out how to force gdal_translate to read the ESRI world file, or I need to figure out how to figure out how to use only GDAL to create a GeoTiff in County Coordinates from a Mr Sid file in UTM.

If anyone has any tips on how I can use GDAL to convert an air photo in a Mr SID UTM file to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates let me know.  In addition, I would like to also figure out how to remove the black boundary around the edge of the air photos as well.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Mark Volz

Re: converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

Richard Greenwood
From what you show, I don't see that gdal_translate is preforming any coordinate system transformation. However, the world file doesn't specify the coordinate system so I would suggest using -a_srs and -t_srs which will specify the source and (optionally) the target coordinate systems. For example:
   gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:26915 -t_srs epsg:<your code> ...
would transform from UTM Zone 15 to your coord system.

You could also see if you have MrSID support installed in your GDAL setup with:
   gdal_translate --formats
which would allow you to skip the ArcGIS export step and maybe some confusion.

There is a "nearblack" command line tool in the GDAL suite that can help with removing the black pixels around the image but I haven't found it too useful. There are a few other options, but I'd suggest you work thru your coordinate system issues before dealing with the black pixels.

rich

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Mark Volz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com

Re: converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

Mark Volz

Richard and others,

I think I am close to projecting using gdal, but I am having issues with the to srs parameter.  I first tried to supply to srs code, which I thought should work because the code 103749 is defined in c:\ms4w\proj\nad\epsg, and works in my mapserver applications.  Next, I tried to supply the Proj.4 definition.  That did not work either.  In both cases I received the following error:  Option -t_srs incomplete, or not recognised. Please let me know if there is a type-o in the following commands.

gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:26915 -t_srs espg:103749 -CO TILED=YES -CO PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -CO TFW=YES -CO COMPRESS=JPEG -CO BIGTIFF=YES ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn081_2013_1.sid lin13.tif

gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:26915 -t_srs "+proj=lcc +lat_1=44.25 +lat_2=44.58333333333334 +lat_0=44.19555555555555 +lon_0=-95.85000000000001 +x_0=152400.3048006096 +y_0=30480.06096012192 +a=6378559.758 + b=6357173.65471281 +units=ft +no_defs" -CO TILED=YES -CO PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -CO TFW=YES -CO COMPRESS=JPEG -CO BIGTIFF=YES ortho_1-1_1n_s_mn081_2013_1.sid lin13.tif

p.s.  I noticed that “recognised” is either misspelled or possibly another English variant of the “recognized”

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Lyon County GIS Coordinator

504 Fairgrounds Rd

Marshall, MN 56258

Ph:  (507) 532-8218

Fax: (507) 532-8217

http://lyonco.org/

http://geomoose.lyonco.org/

Re: converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

Brent Fraser
Mark,

  If you want to reproject the data, I think you need to use gdalwarp.
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser
On 8/29/2014 7:54 AM, Mark Volz wrote:

[...]

Ah yes. Sorry I didn't even notice that in the original post. As Brent notes, gdalwarp does coordinate transformations (reprojects), gdal_translate does not.

Rich

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ph:  <a href="tel:%28507%29%20532-8218" value="+15075328218" target="_blank">(507) 532-8218

Fax: <a href="tel:%28507%29%20532-8217" value="+15075328217" target="_blank">(507) 532-8217

http://lyonco.org/

http://geomoose.lyonco.org/