Quantcast

Starting FWTools

Evert Groenewald
Hallo list.
Well, I hope the list is still active.
My problem is that I am unable to get FWTools-2.0.6 running after
completing ./sh.install. From the output in the console it installs ok,
but I cannot get it running.
Now I know FWTools is long out of date and all that. But I need it to
convert a .ecw file to a tiled tiff file. I last did this about 5 years
ago but forgot to ad the tiling option in, the .tiff file takes a bit
long to adjust focus when zooming in or out because the whole image is
reprojected instead of just the area viewed. I had no need to use the
file a lot til now, so there was no pressing need to redo the conversion.
5 years ago it took about 10 hours on a Core2Duo laptop, ten years ago
it took 17 hours on a AMD dual core desktop. I've upgraded recently and
would like to redo the .ecw with tiling.

I have cd'd into the bin_safe directory in the console and entered the
"sh openev" command, the "sh openev -h" command. Below I copied the
output from the console.

evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe> sh openev -h
Setup for user installed hardware acceleration
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line 80, in ?
     import gviewapp
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py", line 136, in ?
     import gtk
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
line 21, in ?
     import _gtk
ImportError: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe> sh openev
Default software rendering mode (use -h if accelerated video card
installed).
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line 80, in ?
     import gviewapp
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py", line 136, in ?
     import gtk
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
line 21, in ?
     import _gtk
ImportError: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe>

So I found a old copy of FWTools on a old backup dvd,
FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4 and unzipped it executed it, ran the "sh openev
-h" command in the "bin_safe" directory. Pasted below is the output.

evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4> cd bin_safe
evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4/bin_safe> sh openev -h
Setup for user installed hardware acceleration
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/home/evert/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line
80, in ?
     import gviewapp
   File
"/home/evert/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py",
line 130, in ?
     import gtk
   File
"/home/evert/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
line 21, in ?
     import _gtk
ImportError: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
evert@linux-lbj2:~/FWTools/FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4/bin_safe>

Very strange, error output are identical in both packages.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

evert

Re: Starting FWTools

Richard Greenwood
I am confused about your question. You said "convert a .ecw file to a tiled tiff file" but you also said
"redo the .ecw with tiling". So do you want to read or write an ecw?

If you have an existing tiff and just need to change it to a tiled tiff and/or build overviews then that is pretty easy because you can skip the ecw part. If you need to write an ecw that's harder. If you can not get the FWTools working on your distribution then you will need to build gdal with ecw support, which requires getting the ecw sdk. Licensing has gotten tighter on the ecw format and it may be hard to get the sdk now.

Rich

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Evert Groenewald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com

Re: Starting FWTools

Evert Groenewald
On 23/02/2015 16:31, Richard Greenwood wrote:
I am confused about your question. You said "convert a .ecw file to a tiled tiff file" but you also said
"redo the .ecw with tiling". So do you want to read or write an ecw?

Oops, meant to say "redo the .ecw to .tiff with tiling."
If you have an existing tiff and just need to change it to a tiled tiff and/or build overviews then that is pretty easy because you can skip the ecw part.
Never thought of it that way round. Agree with you, should be much easier.

If you need to write an ecw that's harder. If you can not get the FWTools working on your distribution then you will need to build gdal with ecw support, which requires getting the ecw sdk. Licensing has gotten tighter on the ecw format and it may be hard to get the sdk now.
Have a copy of the old 3.3 version of the sdk, unfortunately it is the windows version. Would rather stick to open formats.

Thanks

[...]

[hidden email]> sh openev -h
Setup for user installed hardware acceleration
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line 80, in ?
     import gviewapp
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py", line 136, in ?
     import gtk
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
line 21, in ?
     import _gtk
ImportError: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[hidden email]> sh openev
installed).
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line 80, in ?
     import gviewapp
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py", line 136, in ?
     import gtk
   File "/home/evert/FWTools-2.0.6/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
line 21, in ?
     import _gtk
ImportError: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[hidden email]>

So I found a old copy of FWTools on a old backup dvd,
FWTools-linux-1.0.0a4 and unzipped it executed it, ran the "sh openev
-h" command in the "bin_safe" directory. Pasted below is the output.

[hidden email]> cd bin_safe
[hidden email]> sh openev -h

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Evert Groenewald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have a copy of the old 3.3 version of the sdk, unfortunately it is the windows version. Would rather stick to open formats.

I agree about open formats, but hang onto that sdk, it will probably allow you to compile gdal with ecw support on Linux should the need arise for you in the future.

--
Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com