Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

graphicsRat
Hello -

New LibTIFF programmer here, I'm trying to read the Photoshop Tag 37724
in order to get at Image Layer data. Here's my snip of my attempt:

        uint16 data = 0;
        void*  count;
        TIFF* tiff = TIFFOpen("psdTIFF_File.tif", "r");

        TIFFGetField(tiff, 37724, &data, &count);
        printf("%d\n", data);

        TIFFClose(tiff);

The result: 27080 . The question now is, I'm not quite sure how to
proceed from here. Hints please anyone?

Thanks

- Olumide

Re: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Chris Cox
Start by getting the Photoshop SDK and reading it.

Chris

Chris Cox wrote:
> Start by getting the Photoshop SDK and reading it.

I have the SDK, with the TIFF technical notes (Photoshop TIFF.pdf, page
11 in particular), but I'm still stuck. There isn't a lot of information
  on the structure of the data block, and the document furthermore
directs the reader to the Photoshop File Formats.pdf which is no longer
freely distributed. I've been able to find the last specification that
Adobe released (6.0), but I'm not sure if its a good idea to code using
the old specification which I'm sure has now been extended.

I was hoping someone who has gone this route would give me some pointers
on how to proceed.

Thanks,

- Olumide

RE: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Chris Cox
The SDK tells you how to get the Photoshop file format documentation.

And even the 6.0 SDK tells you how to parse that data block.

The only thing it doesn't give you is source code to do it.

Chris

> Start by getting the Photoshop SDK and reading it.

I have the SDK, with the TIFF technical notes (Photoshop TIFF.pdf, page
11 in particular), but I'm still stuck. There isn't a lot of information
  on the structure of the data block, and the document furthermore
directs the reader to the Photoshop File Formats.pdf which is no longer
freely distributed. I've been able to find the last specification that
Adobe released (6.0), but I'm not sure if its a good idea to code using
the old specification which I'm sure has now been extended.

I was hoping someone who has gone this route would give me some pointers
on how to proceed.

Thanks,

- Olumide

RE: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Phil Harvey-2
I have the same problem with the Adobe file formats.
I applied for the SDK but couldn't sign the agreement
they required (because I develop open source software).

The good news is that if you write code to parse the
block according to the 6.0 specification, as far as I know
it will also work for newer files (although there are new
tags defined, but they are the same format).  But there is
one exception that I know of: You have to also recognize
"PHUT" as well as "8BIM" as a valid IRB resource type.

(But this doesn't have much to do with TIFF.)

- Phil

Re: RE: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Bob Friesenhahn
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Phil Harvey wrote:

> I have the same problem with the Adobe file formats.
> I applied for the SDK but couldn't sign the agreement
> they required (because I develop open source software).

I applied for the SDK, was very clear regarding my intentions (use as
a reference to develop compatible open source software), and was
quickly approved to download it.  Everything was done via the web and
I don't recall having to sign something.

Bob

Re: RE: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Phil Harvey-2
Hi Bob,

The "Basic SDK" can be downloaded without signing anything, but
unfortunately the required documentation is in the "Advanced SDK".
For this, you have to sign an agreement and FAX it back to Adobe.
Here is the response I got when I explained my intentions:

"Unfortunately, at this time we cannot support a request to
distribute this information as it would allow some third parties to
bypass the license agreement that we have in place to protect the PSD
file format."

I didn't ask to distribute the information, but of course the
information could be derived from my source code and the accompanying
documentation.

- Phil

Phil Harvey wrote:
> The "Basic SDK" can be downloaded without signing anything, but
> unfortunately the required documentation is in the "Advanced SDK".  For
> this, you have to sign an agreement and FAX it back to Adobe.  Here is
> the response I got when I explained my intentions:
>
> "Unfortunately, at this time we cannot support a request to distribute
> this information as it would allow some third parties to bypass the
> license agreement that we have in place to protect the PSD file format."

This is the same reason why I haven't bothered to apply :-( . I'm yet to
find anyone that's successfully given the information.

BTW, using using the library for writing for my research and not for any
open source project.

Re: Re: Reading Photoshop Proprietary Tag 37724

Toby Thain

On 2-Nov-06, at 4:21 PM, Olumide wrote:

> Phil Harvey wrote:
>> The "Basic SDK" can be downloaded without signing anything, but
>> unfortunately the required documentation is in the "Advanced
>> SDK".  For this, you have to sign an agreement and FAX it back to
>> Adobe.  Here is the response I got when I explained my intentions:
>> "Unfortunately, at this time we cannot support a request to
>> distribute this information as it would allow some third parties
>> to bypass the license agreement that we have in place to protect
>> the PSD file format."
>
> This is the same reason why I haven't bothered to apply :-( . I'm
> yet to find anyone that's successfully given the information.

I've only been waiting since June.

> BTW, using using the library for writing for my research and not
> for any open source project.

However there are signs that the SDK can be used to support open
source development. The agreement does not particularly make this
clear, but see MNR's blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/notesfrommnr/
2006/04/using_adobe_sdk.html

Toby Thain wrote:

> On 2-Nov-06, at 4:21 PM, Olumide wrote:
>
>> Phil Harvey wrote:
>>> The "Basic SDK" can be downloaded without signing anything, but
>>> unfortunately the required documentation is in the "Advanced SDK".
>>> For this, you have to sign an agreement and FAX it back to Adobe.
>>> Here is the response I got when I explained my intentions:
>>> "Unfortunately, at this time we cannot support a request to
>>> distribute this information as it would allow some third parties to
>>> bypass the license agreement that we have in place to protect the PSD
>>> file format."
>>
>> This is the same reason why I haven't bothered to apply :-( . I'm yet
>> to find anyone that's successfully given the information.
>
> I've only been waiting since June.

This is a bit OT, but can anyone please confirm if posting privileges to
the Adobe SDK forum is reserved for those who have received the advanced
password AND some sort of password.

I subscribed to the forum over a month ago, and I still dont know how to
post messages.

For example Chris Cox tells, some guy with access to the advanced SDK
here http://tinyurl.com/y5x4w6, to refer "to instructions and
information that came with the SDK2 in order to post to the forum.

???

On 3-Nov-06, at 12:35 PM, Olumide wrote:

> Toby Thain wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the same reason why I haven't bothered to apply :-( . I'm
>>> yet to find anyone that's successfully given the information.
>> I've only been waiting since June.
>
> This is a bit OT, but can anyone please confirm if posting
> privileges to the Adobe SDK forum is reserved for those who have
> received the advanced password AND some sort of password.

No, anyone can do it, as you can see from the frequency of irrelevant
posts.

(I assume you mean this forum: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/
webx/.3bbc5053/ )

--Toby

Toby Thain wrote:
>> This is a bit OT, but can anyone please confirm if posting privileges
>> to the Adobe SDK forum is reserved for those who have received the
>> advanced password AND some sort of password.
>
> No, anyone can do it, as you can see from the frequency of irrelevant
> posts.
>
> (I assume you mean this forum:
> http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbc5053/ )

Yes, I cannot for the life of me find a "create post" button or anything
of the sort, although I'm registered (the top of the page says "  You
are logged in as <my_name>").

I've tried to reply to post on an existing thread but it failed with a
little red "no access" button.

Have you been able to post?

???

On 3-Nov-06, at 2:09 PM, Olumide wrote:

> Toby Thain wrote:
>>> This is a bit OT, but can anyone please confirm if posting
>>> privileges to the Adobe SDK forum is reserved for those who have
>>> received the advanced password AND some sort of password.
>> No, anyone can do it, as you can see from the frequency of
>> irrelevant posts.
>> (I assume you mean this forum: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/
>> webx/.3bbc5053/ )
>
> Yes, I cannot for the life of me find a "create post" button or
> anything of the sort, although I'm registered (the top of the page
> says "  You are logged in as <my_name>").
>
> I've tried to reply to post on an existing thread but it failed
> with a little red "no access" button.
>
> Have you been able to post?

Yes. Look for the "New Post" link, I see it at the bottom of the grey
box at top of page, containing the forum title.

--Toby

Toby Thain wrote:
> Yes. Look for the "New Post" link, I see it at the bottom of the grey
> box at top of page, containing the forum title.

Not in my old account, no. But I've just created another account and now
I can see the "Add Topic" link. How odd.

Thanks.