Re: mouse quest

David Percy
Zeppe,

There were enough little annoyances that looked they would take a long
time to fix and a lot of custom programming that I decided to go with
OpenLayers as the front end interface to my KaMap backend "tiling machine".

This gives a much more googlemaps-ish interface, and Paul Spencer
blessed the union back in the Summer :-)
My understanding is that kamap is positioning itself as a tiling
mechanism, perhaps the one that satisfies the description at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification
:-)

Here's a site that I am using to test the latest code from CVS,
http://geospatial.research.pdx.edu/~bjpd/openlayers/examples/ngmdb4.html

We'll be putting a version on the USGS production site within the next
week or two at http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm_compsearch_map.html, replacing
the kamap IFrame that you see there and adding a bunch of "AJAX-y" stuff
like immediate updated number of hits in the database for the current
search criteria.

Basically every time the user moves the map or zooms, the extents are
updated a query is sent off to the database to find out how many records
we have for that area.

Let me know if you want more info on OpenLayers/Kamap config. I actually
promised to put something together, and have been remiss in doing so!

Cheers,
Percy

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 03:46:52 +0100
> From: Zeppe <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [ka-Map-users] mouse quest
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Hi everyone,
> I don't know how about you, but I really don't like the mouse behaviour
> in ka-map. At least the way it is implemented in kaNavigator.
>
> First I can't set the cursor in FireFox. When it is cursor:move in
> stylesheet it activates only when I am on the border of the map viewport.
>
> Second and the most annoying thing is when mousepressed and you drag it
> outside the map viewport, then try to comeback with mouseup kaNavigator
> treats it as the mouse is pressed and drags it further with jumping efekts.
>
> Third kaNavigator has such implementation for mouseout:
snip...

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager

Re: mouse quest

Evaldas Taroza-3
Hi Percy,
yes, OpenLayers library seems really promising. I think I will follow
you, and move my client side to OpenLayers by leaving ka-Map to do
tiling. I will look at it today, and probably will have some questions
about integrating the two.

Zeppe

percy wrote:

> Zeppe,
>
> There were enough little annoyances that looked they would take a long
> time to fix and a lot of custom programming that I decided to go with
> OpenLayers as the front end interface to my KaMap backend "tiling machine".
>
> This gives a much more googlemaps-ish interface, and Paul Spencer
> blessed the union back in the Summer :-)
> My understanding is that kamap is positioning itself as a tiling
> mechanism, perhaps the one that satisfies the description at
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification
> :-)
>
> Here's a site that I am using to test the latest code from CVS,
> http://geospatial.research.pdx.edu/~bjpd/openlayers/examples/ngmdb4.html
>
> We'll be putting a version on the USGS production site within the next
> week or two at http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm_compsearch_map.html, replacing
> the kamap IFrame that you see there and adding a bunch of "AJAX-y" stuff
> like immediate updated number of hits in the database for the current
> search criteria.
>
> Basically every time the user moves the map or zooms, the extents are
> updated a query is sent off to the database to find out how many records
> we have for that area.
>
> Let me know if you want more info on OpenLayers/Kamap config. I actually
> promised to put something together, and have been remiss in doing so!
>
> Cheers,
> Percy
>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 03:46:52 +0100
>> From: Zeppe <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [ka-Map-users] mouse quest
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I don't know how about you, but I really don't like the mouse
>> behaviour in ka-map. At least the way it is implemented in kaNavigator.
>>
>> First I can't set the cursor in FireFox. When it is cursor:move in
>> stylesheet it activates only when I am on the border of the map viewport.
>>
>> Second and the most annoying thing is when mousepressed and you drag
>> it outside the map viewport, then try to comeback with mouseup
>> kaNavigator treats it as the mouse is pressed and drags it further
>> with jumping efekts.
>>
>> Third kaNavigator has such implementation for mouseout:
>
> snip...
>
>> Well, I've been struggling with these three problems for the whole day
>> but in vain. Basically, what I wanted to do is to make mouse behave
>> like in GoogleMaps: you drag the map until mouseup.
>> Is there anyone who has a clue about solutions for these problems?
>> I've looked up many examples in ka-map wiki, but no one has approached
>> these problems.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, guys
>>
>> Zeppe

Re: Re: mouse quest

Christopher Schmidt
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:08:38PM +0100, Zeppe wrote:
> Hi Percy,
> yes, OpenLayers library seems really promising. I think I will follow
> you, and move my client side to OpenLayers by leaving ka-Map to do
> tiling. I will look at it today, and probably will have some questions
> about integrating the two.

Please do make sure that OpenLayers issues are brought up on the
OpenLayers mailing lists, since despite any work that we have done with
ka-map developers, the OpenLayers lists are the only place to actually
make sure problems you might have get seen and taken care of ;)

List information is available at:

Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer