Re: GIS on mobile devices

Brent Fraser
Lyn,

  It's not really my project (I was just trying to generate some interest on the mailing list).  The MobileGIS interest group (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mobile_Solutions) started a few months before FOSS2006, where 20 or so people met for a "birds-of-a-feather" session (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2006_Mobile_GIS_BOF_Minutes).

  Currently, I know of two cross-platform open-source MobileGIS efforts:

1.  JVN GIS:  http://jvngis.googlepages.com/home2 - Java based, no data collection features?
2.  Mateusz Loskot's effort (<A href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex/ to">http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex/ to port Linux/Windows C/C++ libraries (Proj4, GDAL,...) to Windows CE / Windows Mobile

Although, there are more listed on the Mobile Solutions site, most (if not all) are Navigation apps, not data collection apps (like ESRI's ArcPad).  Of course I expect the demand for a data viewer to be greater than a data capture tool.

My thought is to use Mateusz's WinCE ported libraries and wrap a wxEmbedded GUI around them (dunno where the GIS functionality will come from, GEOS? other?...).  The result should be a platform independant (well, Windows and Linux anyways) GIS Data capture/ Navigation application, scalable from an iPaq (what! no cellphone or iPod app? ) to a tablet or desktop computer.

Brent Fraser

Re: GIS on mobile devices

appolo
i am really really replying to this message but i need help.
i am looking for the MPC maptool from Ericsson to use in my project but the link on their website is broken.
so if any of you has used it and still has and advice on how to work with that will be great
Brent Fraser wrote

2.  Mateusz Loskot's effort (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex/ to port Linux/Windows C/C++ libraries (Proj4, GDAL,...) to Windows CE / Windows Mobile