Quantcast

Problem in Opening maps in Mapedit and mapbrpwser

Problem in Opening maps in Mapedit and mapbrpwser

srh124
Hi all.
i'm a begginer around mapserver and maplab. (and generally to opensource WebGIS)
my problem is simple: i can't open even tutorial maps in mapedit and mapbrowser (using MS4W)
and i don't know what to do t progress in learning Maplab.
i willbe so pleased to receive your help?

By the way, i've seen in some webpages that Maplab develpment has been stopped.
so, it sounds better to find a better starting point in opensource WebGIS.
what's your idea?

Finally, i haven't found any package (of course opensource) to do the shortest Path analysis
Is there any or i should program it by myself?

Lots of thanks for your help.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Re: Problem in Opening maps in Mapedit and mapbrpwser

Zak James
Hi,

It's difficult to know what is going wrong when you open a mapfile
without some information on errors. Is anything showing up in the
various frames when you open a mapfile? There is also a pop up error
dialog activated by clicking on the logo in the top right corner of
the application.

Alternatives to maplab include Qgis (http://qgis.org) which can export
mapfiles, and mapstorer (http://mapstorer.org) which can manipulate
mapfile components.

For shortest path, you could look at GRASS (d.path and v.net.path) or
pgRouting depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

zak

On 4/30/07, s r <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
> i'm a begginer around mapserver and maplab. (and generally to opensource
> WebGIS)
> my problem is simple: i can't open even tutorial maps in mapedit and
> mapbrowser (using MS4W)
> and i don't know what to do t progress in learning Maplab.
> i willbe so pleased to receive your help?
>
> By the way, i've seen in some webpages that Maplab develpment has been
> stopped.
> so, it sounds better to find a better starting point in opensource WebGIS.
> what's your idea?
>
> Finally, i haven't found any package (of course opensource) to do the
> shortest Path analysis
> Is there any or i should program it by myself?
>
> Lots of thanks for your help.

Zak James
Applications and Software Development
DM Solutions Group Inc.
http://www.dmsolutions.ca

Re: Problem in Opening maps in Mapedit and mapbrpwser

Nahum Castro-3
s r escribió:
> Hi all.
> i'm a begginer around mapserver and maplab. (and generally to
> opensource WebGIS)
> my problem is simple: i can't open even tutorial maps in mapedit and
> mapbrowser (using MS4W)
> and i don't know what to do t progress in learning Maplab.
> i willbe so pleased to receive your help?
You need to start on the mapserver documentation and tutorial.
here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/
http://biometry.gis.umn.edu/tutorial/

> By the way, i've seen in some webpages that Maplab develpment has been
> stopped.
> so, it sounds better to find a better starting point in opensource
> WebGIS.
> what's your idea?
pmapper
http://www.pmapper.net/
here is my app
http://mapas.guanajuato.gob.mx/app/map.phtml

Another problem is that mapserver only runs on php 4 not 5, perhaps your
problem is related to that

> Finally, i haven't found any package (of course opensource) to do the
> shortest Path analysis
> Is there any or i should program it by myself?

Use postgis, there is a shortest path algoritm here:
http://www.cartoweb.org/contribs.html

--
Nahum Castro González
Jefe de desarrollo del portal SEIP/MAPAS