Interesting change/problem in LibTiff 4.0.7 with unsupported compressions

Interesting change/problem in LibTiff 4.0.7 with unsupported compressions

Michael Shiels [ MaS Software Inc ]

I found a decent change in the behavior of Libtiff – after I updated from the 3.5.6/3.5.7 era to the most recent (yes 15 year jump!!)

Specifically this piece of code – basically ends up tripping an error if the compression is not compiled/activated in the code.  So you can’t even peruse/move through a file without tripping an error.

               /*

               * An opportunity for compression mode dependent tag fixup

               */

               (*tif->tif_fixuptags)(tif);

Our engine specifically watches for errors and assumes it’s pretty fatal – when really it’s kinda benign – UNLESS I want to extract the image data itself, right??

Surely that should be pretty benign to just enumerate through a TIFF – even if you don’t support the compression of each page??

Mike

Re: Interesting change/problem in LibTiff 4.0.7 with unsupported compressions

Michael Shiels [ MaS Software Inc ]

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this problem.  Once I posted it doesn’t’ seem to have made it into the archive which means maybe it didn’t get through at all??

This is a interesting situation since most people don’t expect an error just from enumerating the directory and reading the tags.  Maybe a warning would be more appropriate specifically for an inability to detail out the compression specific tags maybe??

Thanks.

Mike

Re: Interesting change/problem in LibTiff 4.0.7 with unsupported compressions

Charles Auer

In the meantime, if you need to explore tags, AsTiffTagViewer is a free TIFF Tag Viewer application for Windows.

.

http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/astifftagviewer.html

.

Charles