Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

SamHiatt
I haven't really been following the version 1.1 developments, but I did have a couple last minute ideas that would probably be nice to implement before the conference.

1.  When I first tried to install kamap I had to change a bunch of path names and bang my head against the wall a few times before I got it to work.  We should make sure the the release package works straight "out of the box".

2.  We should include some simple sample data with the release to be able to easily demonstrate fonctionality.  For example, we should have a few vector layers and a simple raster layer, all of which are queryable.  This will allow us to easily demonstrate the query system.

In my opinion these 2 additions will make a big difference in how kamap is received at the conference.  If people are able to install and use kamap in less than 2 minutes their jaws will drop as they drool over how cool it is.  :p

I'll try to work on the first suggestion.  I don't have any good vector data to do anything on the second.  Anyone want to take up that one?  I may even add my custom interface to the package.  :Z

Sam

Re: Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

SamHiatt
I'm just talking about adding a data directory to the release with some simple data.  I don't believe there is any sample data currently being bundled with it.  I just think it'd be nice if init.php in our release was preconfigured for the sample data so new users instantly see results after installing FGS and copying kamap to their web server.

Do you have data that would be appropriate as sample data (lightweight and queryable)?  I think a map of Italy would be awesome.  :p  If so, add it to the CVS and I'll try to smooth out the bumps so it works on a clean FGS install.

Sam

On 9/17/07, Lorenzo Becchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sam, that's a good idea.
I've fear we don't have the time to do all this things.
I'm working at the presentation and then I have to deal with the liveCD.
And I'm not talking about my normal job...
we can discuss your idea live at Victoria anyway.
If somebody else can deal with Sam's proposal, even better

ciao
Lorenzo

Samuel Hiatt wrote:

> I haven't really been following the version 1.1 developments, but I
> did have a couple last minute ideas that would probably be nice to
> implement before the conference.
>
> 1.  When I first tried to install kamap I had to change a bunch of
> path names and bang my head against the wall a few times before I got
> it to work.  We should make sure the the release package works
> straight "out of the box".
>
> 2.  We should include some simple sample data with the release to be
> able to easily demonstrate fonctionality.  For example, we should have
> a few vector layers and a simple raster layer, all of which are
> queryable.  This will allow us to easily demonstrate the query system.
>
> In my opinion these 2 additions will make a big difference in how
> kamap is received at the conference.  If people are able to install
> and use kamap in less than 2 minutes their jaws will drop as they
> drool over how cool it is.  :p
>
> I'll try to work on the first suggestion.  I don't have any good
> vector data to do anything on the second.  Anyone want to take up that
> one?  I may even add my custom interface to the package.  :Z
>
> Sam

Re: Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Daniel Morissette-2
Samuel Hiatt wrote:

> Do you have data that would be appropriate as sample data (lightweight
> and queryable)?  I think a map of Italy would be awesome.  :p  If so,
> add it to the CVS and I'll try to smooth out the bumps so it works on a
> clean FGS install.

Well, the GMap demo contains a mapfile and data for Canada and is freely
redistributable. It used to be that ka-Map came preconfigured for use
with GMap out of the box. I haven't checked recently if that has
changed, but if not then you already have a solution, it's just that
GMap is a separate download instead of being bundled with the source.

BTW, as a software developer my 0.02$ is that demo data should ideally
be kept separate from software source code. Yes it's a good thing to
bundle an easy to install demo dataset, but I think it has to remain
possible and easy to get only the software without the demo data.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Lorenzo Becchi
MS4W offers Itasca package:
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html

I have no idea how to create a similar FGS package

Samuel Hiatt wrote:

> I'm just talking about adding a data directory to the release with
> some simple data.  I don't believe there is any sample data currently
> being bundled with it.  I just think it'd be nice if init.php in our
> release was preconfigured for the sample data so new users instantly
> see results after installing FGS and copying kamap to their web server.
>
> Do you have data that would be appropriate as sample data (lightweight
> and queryable)?  I think a map of Italy would be awesome.  :p  If so,
> add it to the CVS and I'll try to smooth out the bumps so it works on
> a clean FGS install.
>
> Sam
>

> On 9/17/07, *Lorenzo Becchi* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Sam, that's a good idea.
>     I've fear we don't have the time to do all this things.
>     I'm working at the presentation and then I have to deal with the
>     liveCD.
>     And I'm not talking about my normal job...
>     we can discuss your idea live at Victoria anyway.
>     If somebody else can deal with Sam's proposal, even better
>
>     ciao
>     Lorenzo
>

>     Samuel Hiatt wrote:
>     > I haven't really been following the version 1.1 developments, but I
>     > did have a couple last minute ideas that would probably be nice to
>     > implement before the conference.
>     >
>     > 1.  When I first tried to install kamap I had to change a bunch of
>     > path names and bang my head against the wall a few times before
>     I got
>     > it to work.  We should make sure the the release package works
>     > straight "out of the box".
>     >
>     > 2.  We should include some simple sample data with the release
>     to be
>     > able to easily demonstrate fonctionality.  For example, we
>     should have
>     > a few vector layers and a simple raster layer, all of which are
>     > queryable.  This will allow us to easily demonstrate the query
>     system.
>     >
>     > In my opinion these 2 additions will make a big difference in how
>     > kamap is received at the conference.  If people are able to install
>     > and use kamap in less than 2 minutes their jaws will drop as they
>     > drool over how cool it is.  :p
>     >
>     > I'll try to work on the first suggestion.  I don't have any good
>     > vector data to do anything on the second.  Anyone want to take
>     up that
>     > one?  I may even add my custom interface to the package.  :Z
>     >
>     > Sam
>     >
>     >

Re: Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Luca Casagrande

Il giorno 17/set/07, alle ore 19:24, Daniel Morissette ha scritto:

> Samuel Hiatt wrote:
>> Do you have data that would be appropriate as sample data
>> (lightweight and queryable)?  I think a map of Italy would be
>> awesome.  :p  If so, add it to the CVS and I'll try to smooth out
>> the bumps so it works on a clean FGS install.
>
> Well, the GMap demo contains a mapfile and data for Canada and is
> freely redistributable. It used to be that ka-Map came
> preconfigured for use with GMap out of the box. I haven't checked
> recently if that has changed, but if not then you already have a
> solution, it's just that GMap is a separate download instead of
> being bundled with the source.
>
> BTW, as a software developer my 0.02$ is that demo data should
> ideally be kept separate from software source code. Yes it's a good
> thing to bundle an easy to install demo dataset, but I think it has
> to remain possible and easy to get only the software without the
> demo data.

I think we can split the 2 things:

- Provide a sample mapfile (for example in htdocs) and a sample
config.php with the sourcecode.
- In the download section, add a link to the sample data.

Luca

Re: Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Lorenzo Becchi
I guess Daniel, is right,
ka-Map has always been pre-configured to work with GMap.
We just need to do the package with the mapfile and the SHP and be sure
it works out of the box when we download id.
http://www.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.zip

then we just need to update the Wiki adding a fast install doc page.

who wants to check/try?