Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Even Rouault-2
CC'ing my latest exchanges with Marc to the list FYI.

From my understanding, it isn't a hijacking but it seems that the use of
remotesensing.org by the libtiff project was more a history accident than
something carefully planned.

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Jeff McKenna
I could file a ticket to have SAC create a new Trac instance (such as
https://trac.osgeo.org/libtiff), and I could create the opening wiki
page, like the existing html page.  Would this be helpful?  I can also
add the other html pages as raw html, through a wiki parameter I
believe.   Or, maybe I should just go ahead with this and report back here?

Then anyone can edit the pages (any champion), and it has a long-term home.

-jeff

On 2016-09-07 3:42 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> CC'ing my latest exchanges with Marc to the list FYI.
>
> From my understanding, it isn't a hijacking but it seems that the use of
> remotesensing.org by the libtiff project was more a history accident than
> something carefully planned.

Bob Friesenhahn
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> I could file a ticket to have SAC create a new Trac instance (such as
> https://trac.osgeo.org/libtiff), and I could create the opening wiki
> page, like the existing html page.  Would this be helpful?  I can also
> add the other html pages as raw html, through a wiki parameter I
> believe.   Or, maybe I should just go ahead with this and report back here?
>
> Then anyone can edit the pages (any champion), and it has a long-term home.

Currently the pages are edited and managed via the CVS repository and
they are part of every libtiff release.

It is easy to post the current libtiff html files anywhere (as I just
did at http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/).  The main issue is that
users are confused about which ones are actively maintained.

I feared that libtiff bugzilla had been lost but thankfully I see that
bugzilla is hosted at a different site.  It seems that all that has
been lost is a URL used since perhaps 2003.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

On 2016-09-08 11:51 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> I could file a ticket to have SAC create a new Trac instance (such as
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/libtiff), and I could create the opening wiki
>> page, like the existing html page.  Would this be helpful?  I can also
>> add the other html pages as raw html, through a wiki parameter I
>> believe.   Or, maybe I should just go ahead with this and report back
>> here?
>>
>> Then anyone can edit the pages (any champion), and it has a long-term
>> home.
>
> Currently the pages are edited and managed via the CVS repository and
> they are part of every libtiff release.
>
> It is easy to post the current libtiff html files anywhere (as I just
> did at http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/).  The main issue is that
> users are confused about which ones are actively maintained.
>
> I feared that libtiff bugzilla had been lost but thankfully I see that
> bugzilla is hosted at a different site.  It seems that all that has been
> lost is a URL used since perhaps 2003.

Yes easy to post anywhere, but the problem with a single person hosting
them is, well, what happened.  So I am proposing using the OSGeo
infrastructure, so that anyone with an OSGeo ID (or that person can
create one if needed) can maintain the website by pressing the "edit"
button on the Trac page.

Anyway, it sounds like you want to host them yourself, no problem with me.

ciao

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Le jeudi 08 septembre 2016 16:51:03, Bob Friesenhahn a écrit :

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > I could file a ticket to have SAC create a new Trac instance (such as
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/libtiff), and I could create the opening wiki
> > page, like the existing html page.  Would this be helpful?  I can also
> > add the other html pages as raw html, through a wiki parameter I
> > believe.   Or, maybe I should just go ahead with this and report back
> > here?
> >
> > Then anyone can edit the pages (any champion), and it has a long-term
> > home.
>
> Currently the pages are edited and managed via the CVS repository and
> they are part of every libtiff release.
>
> It is easy to post the current libtiff html files anywhere (as I just
> did at http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/).  The main issue is that
> users are confused about which ones are actively maintained.
>
> I feared that libtiff bugzilla had been lost but thankfully I see that
> bugzilla is hosted at a different site.  It seems that all that has
> been lost is a URL used since perhaps 2003.

But similarly to www.remotesensing.org which is privately controlled, I guess
the same applies for www.simplesystems.org ?, so for long term sustainability
perhaps we should aim for another plan.

What about having a libtiff.osgeo.org that could serve as a home and run the
cvs checkout with a cron job ? (if the libtiff community thinks that OSGeo is a
good fit for libtiff home). And then we could ask Mark to redirect
http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/ to libtiff.osgeo.org ?

Longer term we should perhaps decide if we migrate away from cvs.maptools.org
+ bugzilla to something else (github, osgeo trac with git, etc...), but I
guess that we'll have the incentive only when things will break out...

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Even Rouault wrote:

> But similarly to www.remotesensing.org which is privately controlled, I guess
> the same applies for www.simplesystems.org ?, so for long term sustainability
> perhaps we should aim for another plan.

The www.simplesystems.org site is hosted in a dedicated computing
closet in a residence by an individual (me) and accessed over an old
ADSL link since 1999 (could now update to gigabit GPON) so it must be
utterly future safe. ;-)

> What about having a libtiff.osgeo.org that could serve as a home and run the
> cvs checkout with a cron job ? (if the libtiff community thinks that OSGeo is a
> good fit for libtiff home). And then we could ask Mark to redirect
> http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/ to libtiff.osgeo.org ?

We should strive to get libtiff.org back regardless of what machine is
hosting the web pages.  If osgeo.org is able to offer up original HTML
files refreshed every hour from CVS (or eventually git) and if we can
expect someone to be able to help when required, then that would be
fine by me.

> Longer term we should perhaps decide if we migrate away from cvs.maptools.org
> + bugzilla to something else (github, osgeo trac with git, etc...), but I
> guess that we'll have the incentive only when things will break out...

At the moment Github is most popular.  It is difficult to predict
which offering will succeed and will be the most responsive if some
change needs to be made.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Edward Lam
On 08/09/2016 12:26 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> Longer term we should perhaps decide if we migrate away from cvs.maptools.org
>> + bugzilla to something else (github, osgeo trac with git, etc...), but I
>> guess that we'll have the incentive only when things will break out...
>
> At the moment Github is most popular.  It is difficult to predict
> which offering will succeed and will be the most responsive if some
> change needs to be made.

Github was my first idea as soon as I heard about this news. It has a lot of
infrastructure these days that makes it useful, including the ability to offer a
web site directly from committed changes in a special branch of the repo. Other
things I like about it are that we can set it up to automatically run builds on
multiple platforms whenever a pull request (ie. patch submission) is submitted.

One downside of course is that we're tying it to another hosted entity. However,
anywhere we put this on the web is liable to have problems at some future point
in time anyways. So we might as well just resign ourselves to the fact that
we'll have to change hosting solutions as the need arises. The good thing about
git is now anybody with a clone of the branch has a copy of the history, giving
somewhat more safety when hosting needs to change. For example, if Github
disappeared overnight, someone else outside of Github has a full copy of the
entire repo.

The other downside is that it's using git as opposed to some other (IMHO) nicer
distributed SCM like Mercurial. However, for an opensource project, git is where
it's at these days.

My 2 cents,
-Edward

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Rick Widmer
libtiff.info is available.  maybe others too.

On 9/8/2016 9:11 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Le jeudi 08 septembre 2016 16:51:03, Bob Friesenhahn a écrit :
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>>> I could file a ticket to have SAC create a new Trac instance (such as
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/libtiff), and I could create the opening wiki
>>> page, like the existing html page.  Would this be helpful?  I can also
>>> add the other html pages as raw html, through a wiki parameter I
>>> believe.   Or, maybe I should just go ahead with this and report back
>>> here?
>>>
>>> Then anyone can edit the pages (any champion), and it has a long-term
>>> home.
>>
>> Currently the pages are edited and managed via the CVS repository and
>> they are part of every libtiff release.
>>
>> It is easy to post the current libtiff html files anywhere (as I just
>> did at http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/).  The main issue is that
>> users are confused about which ones are actively maintained.
>>
>> I feared that libtiff bugzilla had been lost but thankfully I see that
>> bugzilla is hosted at a different site.  It seems that all that has
>> been lost is a URL used since perhaps 2003.
>
> But similarly to www.remotesensing.org which is privately controlled, I guess
> the same applies for www.simplesystems.org ?, so for long term sustainability
> perhaps we should aim for another plan.
>
> What about having a libtiff.osgeo.org that could serve as a home and run the
> cvs checkout with a cron job ? (if the libtiff community thinks that OSGeo is a
> good fit for libtiff home). And then we could ask Mark to redirect
> http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/ to libtiff.osgeo.org ?
>
> Longer term we should perhaps decide if we migrate away from cvs.maptools.org
> + bugzilla to something else (github, osgeo trac with git, etc...), but I
> guess that we'll have the incentive only when things will break out...

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Lee Howard-2
On 09/08/2016 10:53 AM, Rick Widmer wrote:
> libtiff.info is available.  maybe others too.

Has anyone raised the issue with libtiff.org with GoDaddy?

Has anyone been able to contact the registrant?

The DNS pointer goes to an IP address in Portland, Oregon... possibly
belonging to Roblox.

As the domain seems to be otherwise completely unused by the registrant
I can't imagine why they have an interest in keeping it.

I've just paid $76.15 to GoDaddy for their "Buy Domain Service" for
libtiff.org to hopefully see what the registrant wants for it.

Thanks,

Lee.

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Dimitri Schoolwerth
On 8 September 2016 at 22:29, Lee Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 09/08/2016 10:53 AM, Rick Widmer wrote:
>> libtiff.info is available.  maybe others too.

So is/was libtiff.io (or did the .io fad fade?), but a quick search
shows those are a lot more expensive than most other domain
extensions.

> As the domain seems to be otherwise completely unused by the registrant
> I can't imagine why they have an interest in keeping it.

I suppose there are parties that don't mind developers going for an
older, less secure, libtiff version. Hopefully not libtiff.org though.

> I've just paid $76.15 to GoDaddy for their "Buy Domain Service" for
> libtiff.org to hopefully see what the registrant wants for it.

Ouch. Another entry for the list "Reasons not to use GoDaddy"...

On 9 September 2016 at 14:16, Gary McGath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's an "unofficial mirror" at (https://github.com/vadz/libtiff). Its
> most recent update is 5 days ago. Is it reliable?

Vadim Zeitlin is, amongst other things, also still the main
contributor of wxWidgets and I have zero reason to think he has any
bad intentions. I can't vouch for what "git cvsimport" outputs as I
have no experience with that.

[OT]

> I ask because I've posted on my file-formats blog about the situation
> (https://madfileformatscience.garymcgath.com/2016/09/08/libtiff-offline/) and
> would like to mention that as a stopgap link, but I want to make sure
> it's OK.

That's a site that I sometimes see in search results. Thank you for
that site :-).

Regards,
Dimitri

On 09/09/2016 05:22 AM, Dimitri Schoolwerth wrote:
> On 8 September 2016 at 22:29, Lee Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've just paid $76.15 to GoDaddy for their "Buy Domain Service" for
>> libtiff.org to hopefully see what the registrant wants for it.
> Ouch. Another entry for the list "Reasons not to use GoDaddy"...

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of GoDaddy, and I haven't used them as a
registrar for my own domains.  But in this case they are the registrar
that the libtiff.org registrant is using, so I felt it best to go
through them.

As of yet the registrant has not responded to the query.

If they will part with it for some nominal fee then that and the GoDaddy
extortion fee will have been money well-spent in order to permanently
remedy this domain matter.

The problem is that old documentation points at libtiff.org, and there's
no indication at libtiff.org that the old documentation is incorrect or
that libtiff is currently hosted elsewhere.  So, it will be confusing to
new libtiff users and may impede contributions if potential developers
are among those confused.

Thanks,

Lee.

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Fred Rothganger
On 09/09/2016 09:46 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> The problem is that old documentation points at libtiff.org, and there's
> no indication at libtiff.org that the old documentation is incorrect or
> that libtiff is currently hosted elsewhere.  So, it will be confusing to
> new libtiff users and may impede contributions if potential developers
> are among those confused.

FWIW, I have frequently been confused by the libtiff.org domain. It
usually takes a bit of digging to find something more authoritative. If
you can secure the domain, it will make life better. Here's hoping...

-- Fred

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

rleigh
On 2016-09-08 17:01, Edward Lam wrote:

> On 08/09/2016 12:26 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>> Longer term we should perhaps decide if we migrate away from
>>> cvs.maptools.org
>>> + bugzilla to something else (github, osgeo trac with git, etc...),
>>> but I
>>> guess that we'll have the incentive only when things will break
>>> out...
>>
>> At the moment Github is most popular.  It is difficult to predict
>> which offering will succeed and will be the most responsive if some
>> change needs to be made.
>
> Github was my first idea as soon as I heard about this news. It has a
> lot of
> infrastructure these days that makes it useful, including the ability
> to offer a
> web site directly from committed changes in a special branch of the
> repo. Other
> things I like about it are that we can set it up to automatically run
> builds on
> multiple platforms whenever a pull request (ie. patch submission) is
> submitted.

I was originally going to write just this, but since you already wrote
it let me second this.  A DVCS is the way forward.

That said, Github isn't the only player.  There are other alternatives
including:

- Bitbucket
- Gitlab

(both broadly equivalent to Github), and then also

- GNU Savannah
- Alioth

I'd have no problems with GitHub (I already use it extensively, and I
also use all of the others above to varying degrees).  All would offer
public git services.  But the Github/Bitbucket/Gitlab would also be
handy for providing a website since you can host it directly from git.
And if ownership of libtiff.org is regained, it can be simply pointed
there.

On github, it would be useful to have an organisation for libtiff for
developers and contributors to join.  If it's possible for the github
user by that name to relinquish it, that would make things easy; has
anyone contacted them?  If not, shall I do that?  It looks dead and
unused for 2.5 years, unless they also have private repos.  Their email
is in the single commit in the single repository for the account
(assuming it's valid).

If the existing git mirror is of acceptable quality, we could just shift
to using it.  If there are any niggles relating to username->email
identity mappings or branch/tag history conversion, we could redo the
conversion from scratch for the migration to any of the git services.
I'd be happy to assist with that having done a few previous CVS/SVN/Arch
to git conversions for other projects.

Regards,
Roger

Re: Fwd: Re: remotesensing.org URLs (http and ftp)

Olivier Paquet-2
>>> At the moment Github is most popular.  It is difficult to predict
>>> which offering will succeed and will be the most responsive if some
>>> change needs to be made.
>>
>> Github was my first idea as soon as I heard about this news. It has a
>> lot of
[...]
> I was originally going to write just this, but since you already wrote
> it let me second this.  A DVCS is the way forward.

My thought as well. It doesn't matter much which host but git is the
way forward. It's likely to be around for decades and nearly everyone
has been forced to learn how to deal with it by now ;-)

Also, regarding the libtiff name, github's name squatting policy is
rather vague but I suspect they would agree to renaming the inactive
libtiff account so we can have the name, assuming it is truly
inactive. I think we should contact github directly instead of trying
to reach the user though.

Olivier

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, [hidden email] wrote:

> That said, Github isn't the only player.  There are other alternatives
> including:
>
> - Bitbucket
> - Gitlab

No one has mentioned SourceForge.  Since SourceForge changed to new
ownership, operations of the site seem much better than the way they
were before.  I have no complaints about SourceForge at the moment.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

On 2016-09-13 11:34 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> That said, Github isn't the only player.  There are other alternatives
>> including:
>>
>> - Bitbucket
>> - Gitlab
>
> No one has mentioned SourceForge.  Since SourceForge changed to new
> ownership, operations of the site seem much better than the way they
> were before.  I have no complaints about SourceForge at the moment.

As I mentioned before, the OSGeo foundation is willing to help here.  It
offers Gitlab, Go-git, github, SVN, Trac, hosting, mailman lists, and
there is now a part-time paid systems admin willing to help.  Just file
a ticket and mention what you need and whatever hooks you require: use
the "Systems Admin" component, after you login https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo

On 2016-09-14 9:34 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> On 2016-09-13 11:34 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> That said, Github isn't the only player.  There are other alternatives
>>> including:
>>>
>>> - Bitbucket
>>> - Gitlab
>>
>> No one has mentioned SourceForge.  Since SourceForge changed to new
>> ownership, operations of the site seem much better than the way they
>> were before.  I have no complaints about SourceForge at the moment.
>>

> As I mentioned before, the OSGeo foundation is willing to help here.  It
> offers Gitlab, Go-git, github, SVN, Trac, hosting, mailman lists, and
> there is now a part-time paid systems admin willing to help.  Just file
> a ticket and mention what you need and whatever hooks you require: use
> the "Systems Admin" component, after you login
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/
>
> -jeff

OSGeo can also pay for the cost of the new domain, just put that into
the ticket if you need.

Anyway let me know if you have any questions,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo