Quantcast

FWTools portable

Pedro Machado Monteiro

Hello:

Can I install and use FWTools (for Windows) as portable, in a pen drive ? How ?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Pedro Monteiro

Re: FWTools portable

Eli Adam
Pedro,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Pedro Machado Monteiro
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Can I install and use FWTools (for Windows) as portable, in a pen drive ?
> How ?

Portable GIS (v3 just released),
http://www.archaeogeek.com/blog/2012/09/12/portable-gis-v3-released/,
does just that along with a bunch of other software.  If you want just
FWTools, you could probably look at how Portable GIS was done.

You might be able to just put one of these on a pen drive,
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ which would give you a more recent
version of GDAL/OGR, although I've never tried it and don't know how.

Perhaps someone else will give more details of how.

Bests, Eli

> Thank you very much
>
> Best regards
>
> Pedro Monteiro

Fwd: FWTools portable

Pedro Machado Monteiro

Thanks Eli, for the latest news, about Portable Gis v3: altough it is not "stealth gis" (as said in the link), perhaps I'll try it.

Meantime, I suppose it is not possible just to assign the pen drive to the FWTools installer...

Best regards

Pedro Monteiro

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Can I install and use FWTools (for Windows) as portable, in a pen drive ?
> How ?

Portable GIS (v3 just released),
http://www.archaeogeek.com/blog/2012/09/12/portable-gis-v3-released/,
does just that along with a bunch of other software.  If you want just
FWTools, you could probably look at how Portable GIS was done.

You might be able to just put one of these on a pen drive,
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ which would give you a more recent
version of GDAL/OGR, although I've never tried it and don't know how.

Perhaps someone else will give more details of how.

Bests, Eli

> Thank you very much
>
> Best regards
>
> Pedro Monteiro

Re: FWTools portable

Matt Wilkie-2
Hi Pedro,

A barebones Osgeo4W[1] install, meaning just the command line utilities, is portable out of the box, though the initial setup does leave a foot print on the host. Osgeo4w is FWTools successor.

Essentially just install as normal, using Advanced install and selecting only the gdal-python package (a shortcut which will grab all the dependencies also). When that is done simply copy the C:\OSGeo4W tree to [usbdrive]:\OSGeo4W.

To use it on other systems just run X:\OSGeo4W\Osgeo4w.bat.

The host footprint is:
  - Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts to Osgeo4w.bat
  - possibly, some updated dll's in Windows\System32 or other PATH directories

The host dll's which might be touched are found in the msvcrt package[2]. This is generally harmless as they are standard files installed by many many programs. Osgeo4w only updates the system dll's if they are a) already present, and b) older. Otherwise they all go X:\Osgeo4w\bin\*.dll.

Many of the other o4w programs are portable too, though their relevant startup batch files might need some tweaking. Use OSGeo4W.bat and bin\o4w_env.bat as examples -- speaking of which, you may be able to use them as examples to make your already existing FWTools install portable.

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-msvcrt

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment
867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
On 18-Sep-2012 6:59 AM, Pedro Machado Monteiro wrote:

Hello:

Can I install and use FWTools (for Windows) as portable, in a pen drive ? How ?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Pedro Monteiro

Re: FWTools portable

Pedro Machado Monteiro

Thank you very much for your hints, Matt.

I presume the alternative solution you pointed does not apply to FWTools itsef (install on host, and then copy the program tree to pen).

As an end user, perhaps I will try Portable Gis (it includes FWTools and other programs as well); the doubt is about what traces or problems it might leave on hosts.

My best regards

Pedro Monteiro