Quantcast

Cartoweb beginner question

Carl Burn-2
Hi,

new to cartoweb but not to mapserver. I need to know if the following is possible with Cartoweb or not. I need to be able to forward users to an installation of Cartoweb from our site passing with them url parameters (a map file name) to enable a specific map file to be used on the map server which will contain a set of layers unique to them.
Is this possible, if so can anyone point me to the docs/how to that would get me started?

Cheers

Burnsy

Re: Cartoweb beginner question

Oliver Christen
Hi Carl

the answer is probably no, not in the way you want to do it (ie. passing a mapid in the url for example)
the mapfile is read very very early by Cartoweb and the consequence is one mapfile is linked to one project.
so if you want to access more than one mapfile, you need to have as many projects as you have of mapfiles.
now it's quite easy to duplicate a project, expecially if the only thing that change is the project name and the map id.
and projects can be selected with one parameter in the url for example: client.php?project=demoPlugins
but that maybe be a bit more work than what you want.

regards
Oliver

Re: Cartoweb beginner question

Carl Burn-2
Hi Oliver,

thanks for the response, looking at the documentation it looks like I could create projects programmatically for users and so have one for each user. The project would need to get its data from a map file unique to the user which I create as part of the main site process, but would I need to recreate the project if the map file were altered e.g. new layers added or layers removed.

Cheers

Carl

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Oliver Christen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Carl

the answer is probably no, not in the way you want to do it (ie. passing a mapid in the url for example)
the mapfile is read very very early by Cartoweb and the consequence is one mapfile is linked to one project.
so if you want to access more than one mapfile, you need to have as many projects as you have of mapfiles.
now it's quite easy to duplicate a project, expecially if the only thing that change is the project name and the map id.
and projects can be selected with one parameter in the url for example: client.php?project=demoPlugins
but that maybe be a bit more work than what you want.

regards
Oliver

Re: Cartoweb beginner question

Oliver Christen
Cartoweb's displayed layers depend of the layers.ini file, which link the layers in the mapfile with the layer tree in the user interface.
if you add new layers in the mapfile, you need to add the corresponding entries in the layers.ini

maybe use a working project as template, and simply overwrite some files with user specific content when needed, that should keep the maintenance time as low as possible.
if the differences are only in the list of layers, you should have only a couples of specific files by user to maintain: client_conf.ini (client side), *projectname*.ini (server side), layers.ini (server side) and the server folder renaming.