Quantcast

ArcGis9 and Maplab

Javier Sanchez Galan
Hello Fellows

Ive succesfully installed ms4w 1.6 and maplab 2.2.1 (it seems that maplab
doesnt work properly in ms4w 2.2.3). i can display the tutorial.map that
comes with maplab, but when i try to publish my own map (done in ArcGis 9)
it shows errors.

I am using "ArcMap MXD to ArcIMS AXL & MapServer converter/ export utility"
from ESRI to convert from .mxd to .map

(http://arcscripts.esri.com/scripts.asp?eLang=&eProd=&perPage=10&eQuery=EXPORT+.MAP)

My first assumption is that ESRI's .map format is in a different format than
the one used by maplab.

has anyone tried that ArcGis extension and published a map with maplab?

are there other products to convert from .mxd to .map?

Thanks for your help,

--
Ing. Javier Sanchez Galan
Dirección de Investigación - VIPE

Re: ArcGis9 and Maplab

Nahum Castro-3
Javier Sanchez Galan escribió:
> Hello Fellows
>
> Ive succesfully installed ms4w 1.6 and maplab 2.2.1 (it seems that
> maplab doesnt work properly in ms4w 2.2.3). i can display the
> tutorial.map that comes with maplab, but when i try to publish my own
> map (done in ArcGis 9) it shows errors.
Revisa el log de apache, ahi te puede mostrar cuales son esos errores,
envialos por aqui.

> I am using "ArcMap MXD to ArcIMS AXL & MapServer converter/ export
> utility" from ESRI to convert from .mxd to .map
>
> (http://arcscripts.esri.com/scripts.asp?eLang=&eProd=&perPage=10&eQuery=EXPORT+.MAP)
>

> My first assumption is that ESRI's .map format is in a different
> format than the one used by maplab.
No necesariamente, el problema que puedes tener es que las imagenes
generadas por mapserver no se esten generando, debido a que no esten
definidos los directorios a donde se escribiran y desde donde leera el
servidor web(apache).

Más información:  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs

> has anyone tried that ArcGis extension and published a map with maplab?
> are there other products to convert from .mxd to .map?
Alguna vez vi uno en http://freesig.org, pero no recuerdo el nombre.
Puedes buscar ahi.

> Thanks for your help,

De nada.

Saludos desde México.

Re: ArcGis9 and Maplab

Javier Sanchez Galan

My First words are to thank those who answered my question!.

After reading carefully the "ArcMap MXD to ArcIMS AXL & MapServer converter/
export utility", i ve found what may be the answer to my question about the
format (.map  generated file, has differences from the tutorial.map file).

it reads that:

"The files generated for MapServer can be customized by editing the
resoures/_MXDtoMap.xsl" file. The default form is particularly focussed on
users that publish metadata and services through GeoNetwork opensource (
http://geonetwork-opensource.org ). "

Well, i found the AMEIN v1.0.1 plugin that does the export i need, i ve
installed it succesfully (even registered the dll), the only problem is that
it doesnt loads on ArcGis9, it remains gray, thus unusable and after reading
many posts, i dont have a conclusion on how to make it available.

Anyone can point me to a way of making it available.

Thanks

Ing. Javier Sanchez Galan
Dirección de Investigación - VIPE
Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá

Re: ArcGis9 and Maplab

Jeff McKenna-4
I can tell you that the latest QGIS (http://www.qgis.org/) has a
'File/Export to MapServer Mapfile' function that actually works.  Give
it a shot!

jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
DM Solutions Group Inc.

Re: ArcGis9 and Maplab

Javier Sanchez Galan
Nahum et al.

Thanks for answering, here is the apache log 'describing' my maplab error

http://jsgalan.host.sk/maplab/error.log

here is the mapfile generated with esri plugin (which to my unexpert eye
seems different from mapserver required format)

http://jsgalan.host.sk/maplab/calidonia.map

I also tried with qgis-0.8.0, using shapefiles to then convert it to
mapfile, but the export didnt worked. i might now try builiding it from
shapefiles but in maplab (mapeditor/mapbrowser) itself.

--
Javier Sanchez Galan